PDA

View Full Version : Layoffs at Gree's SF office

DSum
07-21-2015, 12:54 PM
I am reading that 30% of the staff was layed off today. I have not heard of any breakdown of which departments or games were affected, but the community manager was one of the ones terminated. Not good news.

truthteller
07-21-2015, 01:23 PM
I am reading that 30% of the staff was layed off today. I have not heard of any breakdown of which departments or games were affected, but the community manager was one of the ones terminated. Not good news.

post the reading or a link if you can

cheers

rutty
07-21-2015, 01:29 PM
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/21/japans-gree-lays-off-staff-in-its-san-francisco-office/

Not good news at all

Jnsolberg
07-21-2015, 03:00 PM

Maybe this is why I don't have any answers from tickets over the weekend

Vile Lynn
07-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Maybe this is why I don't have any answers from tickets over the weekend

Doubt it. The CMs are gone, not CS.

well.... Ykwim, heh, as if CS works!

Erageous
07-21-2015, 08:48 PM
So is anyone watching us now? Anarchy!!! :)

J-manKometh96
07-21-2015, 09:53 PM
So is anyone watching us now? Anarchy!!! :)

The player mods are now running rampant with no oversight. One of the community manager accounts is actually banned. The rest have not been logged on since the axe fell, so if they weren't canned, I'd guess they were reassigned.

Anarchy indeed.

E-I
07-22-2015, 06:30 AM
Well, seeing as how Gree hasn't really participated on the KA forum for the past 3-4 months, I'd say the absence of community managers feels like more like status quo.

But yeah, let's burn this place down and run amok!

Erageous
07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I saw Sirus has been posting in other forums, MW and CC I believe. Should give everyone a hint on how we rate in the Gree master plan that no one has shown up here.

Vile Lynn
07-22-2015, 10:17 AM
The player mods are now running rampant with no oversight. One of the community manager accounts is actually banned. The rest have not been logged on since the axe fell, so if they weren't canned, I'd guess they were reassigned.

Clementine, Relic & Tadaaah have all changed their employment status in LinkedIn, so I'm gonna guess they won't be logging in anymore.

I'm still curious why Bolt was the only one banned, but that's really none of my business. Sorry to see Bolt go.

Sirius
07-22-2015, 10:54 AM
*Eye's of an Admin are upon you*

Hey Guys,

We are getting things sorted out atm but we are on the forums still etc. Updates will come in time. Will also make sure everyone's feedback/issue reports get passed to the right folks regardless.

Vile Lynn
07-22-2015, 10:58 AM
*Eye's of an Admin are upon you*

Hey Guys,

We are getting things sorted out atm but we are on the forums still etc. Updates will come in time. Will also make sure everyone's feedback/issue reports get passed to the right folks regardless.

*hugs* Sirius! I knew you'd show up! :)
Thanks!

truthteller
07-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Clementine, Relic & Tadaaah have all changed their employment status in LinkedIn, so I'm gonna guess they won't be logging in anymore.

I'm still curious why Bolt was the only one banned, but that's really none of my business. Sorry to see Bolt go.

I am gona guess he probably told them a few truthful statements that they did not like at the time he got his pink papers, which resulted in the B prize
the rest probably just got their papers and walked away, thus stil have acces as regular people to the forum

Vile Lynn
07-22-2015, 12:09 PM
I am gona guess he probably told them a few truthful statements that they did not like at the time he got his pink papers, which resulted in the B prize
the rest probably just got their papers and walked away, thus stil have acces as regular people to the forum

Yeah, whatta bummer. Bolt just got hired & cost of living is not cheap in SF.

E-I
07-22-2015, 12:43 PM
I can't wait to see some new posts on Glassdoor.com!

the_bob
07-22-2015, 05:59 PM
I am reading that 30% of the staff was layed off today.

70% to go! Come on, Gree. You can do it.

Vile Lynn
07-22-2015, 06:02 PM

lol, you're terrible! ;)

J-manKometh96
07-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Unconfirmed reports have the job as nearly complete.

[rudy]
07-23-2015, 04:38 AM

I'm sure a programming error will result in 110% layoff.

J-manKometh96
07-23-2015, 05:40 AM
;1522725']I'm sure a programming error will result in 110% layoff.

Nah. It'll just be a display glitch.

E-I
07-23-2015, 05:50 AM
Is the 30% layoff a multiplicative bonus?

Jnsolberg
07-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Maybe they got rid of the peeps who "intended" bonuses to be wrong, or "intended" the box event to reward the top 25 when the top 50 was clearly indicated. Maybe the Developers who make us get 15-18 guild wins to qualify for the 12 wins that you need for the guild daily prize during the last few wars are gone.
If Gree outsources programming to someone who is competent, we may get a game that's not so full of issues. That would reduce the workload on Carmen, and give us a better product!
I suppose we'll have to wait to find out, lol

Toddiekska
07-23-2015, 06:32 AM
Glad you're optimistic. I was; however that evaporated a while ago.
Little to zero communication and like sheep, we continue as if minor changes are a carrot for a brighter future. For the guild til the bitter end.

rutty
07-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Regardless of how awful some of the bugs have been over the last few years, it is a dreadful thing to be made redundant. It happened to me a few years ago, and it ain't fun. So, to those poor sods now looking for new jobs - the best of luck to you.

Many of the problems in the Gree games - I would suggest - are down to management decisions. Not enough time/people to fix or test the many issues in-game. Do the minimum dev time to gain maximum return - milk that cash cow. Well, I'm thinking those udders are getting a bit barren now and hundreds of people are now unemployed. I'm going to keep my thoughts about those folks making those decisions to myself.

E-I
07-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Many of the problems in the Gree games - I would suggest - are down to management decisions. Not enough time/people to fix or test the many issues in-game. Do the minimum dev time to gain maximum return - milk that cash cow.

That is the truth. Gree made little to no attempt at making this game appealing to new players, and they alienated most of the existing player base by routinely ignoring their support requests/feedback/concerns/pleas. Every decision Gree made for this game was intended to extract money away from players for short-term gain, not to make game interesting for sustained long-term success.

J-manKometh96
07-23-2015, 10:19 AM
That is the truth. Gree made little to no attempt at making this game appealing to new players, and they alienated most of the existing player base by routinely ignoring their support requests/feedback/concerns/pleas. Every decision Gree made for this game was intended to extract money away from players for short-term gain, not to make game interesting for sustained long-term success.
Not just this game. ALL of their games.

Tigertiger55
07-23-2015, 11:29 AM
I read that the CEO lists "awesomeness" as one of his 'skills' on LinkedIn. I can think of a few more 'skills' he has

Vile Lynn
07-23-2015, 12:07 PM
...like megalomania?

Saint-BEL
07-23-2015, 01:32 PM
just saw that bolt was banned, this explains that.

Interesting development.

Soooo, who wants to takes bets to how long till this game will be shut down?

Erageous
07-23-2015, 02:48 PM
This game has to be on the chopping block, my guild is already trying out new games that we hope to jump too once the axe comes down.

Ant venom
07-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Yep, the game is on the chopping block, all the CM's are laid off and 1Shot is trying to control the Forum although he is a troll. He also gets paid 240 gold per month in CC by GREE for being a "Volunteer" Forum Moderator. And yes the entirety of the GREE Forum is pretty much an anarchy now, it is the same as a school without teachers or anybody else except for the students. This is due to a loss, GREE doesn't care about us, they only care about profit and our money.

Schar
07-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks for poping in Sirius, good to see at least one official person is still around.

Changes are probably adding a lot to your workload. But it is fantastic to see that you've commented (which means that our posts are being read) on most of the recent threads.

FrostedHate
07-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Saw on Gamasutra that as much as 66% of sf office laid off and that to say the source speculates gree is moving awa y from active game development and focusing more on publishing and outsourcing its QA efforts.

the_bob
07-23-2015, 05:30 PM
game development

Gree is not in the business of game development. They buy up properties and run them into the ground. That's their business model.

[rudy]
07-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Gree is not in the business of game development. They buy up properties and run them into the ground. That's their business model.

Milk them while they last! Pity the whales.

Ant venom
07-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Then they lay off employees for more money and repeat the whole process again and again until they become bankrupt knowing finally that they are a failure as a company.

Valid or
07-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Then they lay off employees for more money and repeat the whole process again and again until they become bankrupt knowing finally that they are a failure as a company.

These were side projects of gree international, they are by no means going to go bankrupt. They could close all mobile games and still make a billion. They are not that small of a company with assets varying from anima (eg. Naruto) through to mobile gaming and app development work. With each department having to show it own profit, or....well the lay offs in sf is a good indication of what happens when a dept reports a loss or lower than expected income.

Sirius
07-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Okay Guys,

Just dropping by (touching threads like these are almost like stepping on verbal landmines so to speak) but the games are not going any where. Period. Good amount of folks are still here, hitting new directions that should stay true to your expectations (which should always be the case) in the end. <---don't want to debate that point as actions speak louder than some posting or article. You're the judge in the end.

I as well as others, have let things sorta run it's course on the discussions on the recent news of things, but please stick to the forum rules, be respectful to each other and voice your concerns in a cool way that it should be. It goes the distance if you think about it.

the_bob
07-25-2015, 01:33 PM
new directions that should stay true to your expectations

I sincerely hope not since our expectations are about as low as they can be.

don't want to debate that point as actions speak louder than some posting or article. You're the judge in the end.

Sirius, I know that since you work for Sata.... er, Gree that you can't say anything negative towards them publicly. But stop and think about it. I know I won't get a response but you have to admit at least to yourself that Gree's actions are despicable and horrible and they do speak much louder than you or any other Gree representative that's ever posted on these forums. You know this. I know this. We all know this. And yes, we are the final judge and I think we've judged you as harshly as you deserve. The only thing keeping this game afloat right now are those Whales who are so deeply invested and/or addicted that they just can't stop.

Vile Lynn
07-25-2015, 01:40 PM
I sincerely hope not since our expectations are about as low as they can be.

Sirius, I know that since you work for Sata.... er, Gree that you can't say anything negative towards them publicly. But stop and think about it. I know I won't get a response but you have to admit at least to yourself that Gree's actions are despicable and horrible and they do speak much louder than you or any other Gree representative that's ever posted on these forums. You know this. I know this. We all know this. And yes, we are the final judge and I think we've judged you as harshly as you deserve. The only thing keeping this game afloat right now are those Whales who are so deeply invested and/or addicted that they just can't stop.

https://sarahwaurechen.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/whats-your-point.jpg

Jomama1
07-26-2015, 09:08 AM
whales are leaving - how will you respond?

Vile Lynn
07-26-2015, 09:18 AM

I'll move up the food chain ...err, I mean ...LB! ;)

E-I
07-27-2015, 05:35 AM

By magically advancing minis by 50-60 levels overnight!

Jnsolberg
07-27-2015, 06:42 AM
By magically advancing minis by 50-60 levels overnight!

Lmao
Lmao
Lmao