PDA

View Full Version : Any computer guys in here?

Njwmrb
09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
My laptop has gone to crap and I need to get a new one, any recommendations?

The_Red
09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
you should detail out what you use it for... and perhaps what your budget is.... also what size screen (13/15/17) you're looking for.

Njwmrb
09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
No preference on the screen size, I use it mostly for school and music. I don't need a gaming computer or anything. Just preferably something that can load internet screens quickly, and hold 3-4000 songs.

My computer knowledge is pretty much 0.

Njwmrb
09-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Also I have an iPhone so would be advantageous to get a mac?

albeezy
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM
No. Macs are great if you edit photos or videos but the cost is too high for what you plan to use it for. They're good computers but you can get one that will work for you for less by getting something else

The_Red
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM
almost any laptop would hold that many songs.

Some of the guys here at the office have been purchasing the Lenovo X series line with the AMD bobcat core. ( X120e is the newest model). Slick little laptop good portability with the 11" screen. .

If you're looking to spend more $ - I'm actually pretty pleased with my 13" macbook pros.... they obviously come with the Apple cost structure, but Ive had several of them and they hold up very well.

If you're looking for cheap - some of the lower end (4-500 buck) 13" laptops from HP are pretty good.

Edit: One other thing on the apple side of things (Im not an apple zealot by any stretch of the imagination) - they hold up their value exceedingly well. Currently here in Austin 4 year old macbook pro 13" are selling for 700 bucks on craigslist. Try getting 50% of your value out of any other hardware like that. Its almost mindboggling really.

Edit 2: You can also get a student discount from many retailers including apple on their laptop products.

Vile Lynn
09-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Sorry about your laptop. I'm not an authority, but I don't think there is a great advantage. I use PC & Mac. Macs are more expensive & great if you're into graphics, photo editing, etc... I use the PC for updating my iPods, iPads & iPhones; works fine for me... would like it better on the Mac, but haven't tried it.

I think some of the major electronic stores, like Best Buy, have some really good deals on laptops, like less than $300USD. No idea of the quality or HD size.

Also, try New Egg online. They have lots of good deals. I think the site is newegg.com
Good luck!

Durwood
09-07-2012, 11:56 AM
ASUS has a great laptop for the price

Dr. Dengus
09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
ASUS has a great laptop for the price

Yeah ASUS makes some great laptops, especially if you're mainly using it for word processing and playing music Njwmrb.

Hope this link works : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%2050001315%204021&IsNodeId=1&name=%24500%20-%20%24750&Order=RATING&Pagesize=100

BadNews
09-07-2012, 12:27 PM
No preference on the screen size, I use it mostly for school and music. I don't need a gaming computer or anything. Just preferably something that can load internet screens quickly, and hold 3-4000 songs.

My computer knowledge is pretty much 0.

Pre your requirement and your knowledge, My suggestion is getting a IPAD. it can load internet quickly, hold 3-4000 songs and play Kingdom Age. lol

CloudKing
09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Pre your requirement and your knowledge, My suggestion is getting a IPAD. it can load internet quickly, hold 3-4000 songs and play Kingdom Age. lol

Badnews just typing the same idea... use mine more than laptop now

The_Red
09-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Badnews just typing the same idea... use mine more than laptop now

problem is that if you're trying to do any "real" work on an iPad its very difficult. Try going a presentation or writing a paper with it.

P4TR1C14N
09-07-2012, 01:25 PM
All depends on wat you want to spend.

Check out best buy guides from tweakers.net (dutch) or toms hardware etc. For what you want to do, i think you only need a budget laptop. +/- 550 dollar should do the trick.

BadNews
09-07-2012, 02:36 PM
problem is that if you're trying to do any "real" work on an iPad its very difficult. Try going a presentation or writing a paper with it.

Try to get a physical keyboard for your ipad when you need do "real" work.
something like this:
http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/92941.jpg

Njwmrb
09-07-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't think I'd want an iPad, its pretty much just a bigger iPhone isn't it?

GetItOn
09-07-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't think I'd want an iPad, its pretty much just a bigger iPhone isn't it?

Yes, but I used to be on my phone all the time and now it's so much easier on the eyes. LoL. I actually got an iPad mainly to play KA more easily. LoL

BadNews
09-14-2012, 12:19 PM
How about this one. Really cool!
http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/publishingimages/new/hero.jpg (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/gallery.aspx)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dpzu3HM2CIo

Vapor
09-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Mac PC doesn't matter anymore. Both will do the job equally well provided you spec things out correctly. I'm a post production supervisor for a film and television company and we use both. Bottom line is that macs are more expensive and you have to conform to the mac pipeline ... PC's give you more options if you like to dabble and tweak. Really its simply all about how you like to work. One lays out one way one lays out another ... at the end of the day its a tie performance wise.

bgood
09-14-2012, 01:09 PM
For what your using its hard to botch up going the cheaper windows laptop route...since your a limited use...user you can get most any windows based laptop for very little money to do what you need. I think apple would be a bit of an overkill for the cost although it will do what you want and is a sound product. I actually thought the ipad was a pretty good recommendation though but if you want a standard laptop any are good. Just dont get wrapped up in tech support packages...they all suck and all involve you calling some data center where they just ask you to reboot the machine.