PDA

View Full Version : Peace on Earth

Funkey monkey
12-25-2012, 05:19 AM
A friend of mine was asking about Christmas etiquette for attacking in the game. I shared that this is just a game and it wouldn't offend me even though our family celebrates Christmas.

The question reminded me of the Christmas Truce of 1914. During WWI, though there was no official truce, roughly 100,000 British and German troops were involved in unofficial cessations of fighting along the length of the Western Front.

The Germans began by placing candles on their trenches and on Christmas trees, then continued the celebration by singing Christmas carols. The British responded by singing carols of their own. The two sides continued by shouting Christmas greetings to each other. Soon thereafter, there were excursions across No Man's Land, where small gifts were exchanged, such as food, tobacco and alcohol, and souvenirs such as buttons and hats. The artillery in the region fell silent. The truce also allowed a breathing spell where recently killed soldiers could be brought back behind their lines by burial parties. Joint services were held. The fraternisation carried risks; some soldiers were shot by opposing forces. In many sectors, the truce lasted through Christmas night, but it continued until New Year's Day in others.

Bruce Bairnsfather, who served throughout the war, wrote: "I wouldn't have missed that unique and weird Christmas Day for anything. ... I spotted a German officer, some sort of lieutenant I should think, and being a bit of a collector, I intimated to him that I had taken a fancy to some of his buttons. ... I brought out my wire clippers and, with a few deft snips, removed a couple of his buttons and put them in my pocket. I then gave him two of mine in exchange. ... The last I saw was one of my machine gunners, who was a bit of an amateur hairdresser in civil life, cutting the unnaturally long hair of a docile Boche, who was patiently kneeling on the ground whilst the automatic clippers crept up the back of his neck."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehFjkS7UBUU

Glory to God in highest heaven, and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased. May you find true peace this Christmas.

SoccerStud
12-25-2012, 05:21 AM
That's really cool. I didn't know that! Thanks for that share!

DragCro
12-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Thanks friend for this post.I know that,history is the only thing that i like to watch,that is one of a reason i play this game.Yesterday & today i didnt attack other players on all my 4 Gree games

chimera69
12-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Garth Brooks has a nice song about the Christmas Truce @ Belleau Woods:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IuD-hwDa8YQ

Jhoemel
12-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Nice read funkey

bgood
12-26-2012, 06:33 AM
Interesting read. that be said it didn't stop me from attacking on christmas but that could explain why all i got for christmas was the Flu =-)

Metajetta
12-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Interesting read. that be said it didn't stop me from attacking on christmas but that could explain why all i got for christmas was the Flu =-)

Hmm. I came here with a question and think I got my answer - thanks Funkey! Not because of Christmas but because of something else more pressing (and less nice), I left KA and MQ unattended for almost two days. I was sure I'd come back to a lovely long list of raids and my entire income gone. Quite the reverse. Nothing but ally requests. I'm pretty scarey in MQ, but I'm fodder in KA.

I'll still be addressing that, but it's funny and very nice. It's a lovely, lovely season. Light conquers the darkness and so many cultures link that with the idea of "peace" - both in the sense of the cecessation of strife between antagonists, and also with actively creating harmony through kindness.