PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Organization

[MoC] Ian McGrath
03-05-2013, 09:24 AM
I know we are all ramping up for war - but I have to say I am appalled by the lack luster organization of people's kingdoms as of late. Do you really think a messy kingdom is going to dissaude attackers? Have pride in you kingdom! Make it be a place worth visiting.

Maybe others have good reasons for a sloppy kingdom. I'd love to hear them.

Jixx
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
it fits and upgrading the size of your land is a waste of money when you have no more buildings to purchase :)

The Big Weezy
03-05-2013, 10:05 AM
I saw a kingdom today that looked for all intents and purposes like any other...a perfect square with everything nestled into the center. But upon further inspection, I found a path leading from the WToH out to sea several squares, then up north many many squares where it came back to land and housed all of the manors and lenders!! What a pleasant surprise, and how clever of that player to think of others when designing their kingdom. ;)

Bwdavis4
03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
What I don't understand is why can't anyone see other people's decorations or trees. I bought a few to make my kingdom look awesome, but when I look at my kingdom from my son's game, they can't be seen. How pointless to even add those into the game then.

Dexter Morgan
03-05-2013, 10:25 AM
I group all the defense and money buildings together. Trying to open up some more land to make some artwork out of the buildings I too wish decorations could be seen by all. Then we'd see true talent like in cc

The Big Weezy
03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Trying to open up some more land to make some artwork out of the buildings I too wish decorations could be seen by all.

Yep. Right now I am in "classic medieval peasant village" decor, with little roads to money buildings surrounding a cluster of grey Castle-looking buildings in the center. The defense towers have been arranged into two columns with the magic circles splitting down the middle. I imagine the royals playing life-size chess there in their free time.

Me&You
03-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Guild upgrades and Dragons are more important than land right now, but I do plan to stretch out a bit soon and un-cram my kingdom. It is somewhat organized now, but not pretty. My next expansion is still only 35k and I do still have a small open space about the size of a Castle. It's amazing what you can fit into and defend in a little rectangle, but at some point, ROI has to go out the window in favour of style.

[MoC] Ian McGrath
03-05-2013, 11:23 AM
I saw a kingdom today that looked for all intents and purposes like any other...a perfect square with everything nestled into the center. But upon further inspection, I found a path leading from the WToH out to sea several squares, then up north many many squares where it came back to land and housed all of the manors and lenders!! What a pleasant surprise, and how clever of that player to think of others when designing their kingdom. ;)

That is pretty clever. But the cost to do it would be pretty heavy. Maybe if I had level 10 manors or gold mines

EiZ
03-05-2013, 11:36 AM
I placed a bunch of stone tables in the beginning as ADD ME until I read here that no one could see it. Althou it did save me the hours traveling on a boring plane placing it. Due to not having space I only kept the graveyard and the Sparta hole.

PorkChopExpress
03-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Weezy, I know you're talking about my kingdom... and you're right, it IS fabulous...

[MoC] Ian McGrath
03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
I have a new rule: if I find anyone with a well planned kingdom I shall not attack them!

Zenobia
03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Lol, Ian! So, even if they have, say, level 5 uncollected manors? The placement of those manors could be beautiful, and transforming them to piles of rubble ugly, but their gold in my bank would be more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Proprioc3ption
03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Check out this thread by Jhoemel guys and add to it...my Kingdom is post#16.
Best parts I like about my kingdom are; the Castle as central with a pit to throw the bodies of fallen enemies down, LumberYard area with trees and logs surrounding and most of all, a grave yard are for all my fallen soldiers...may they rest in peace.
LINK:
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?41549-Post-your-base-decorations-here/page2&highlight=Kingdom+decorations

This is a little old now... Last year some time.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5395/mykingdom.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/mykingdom.jpg/)

Sir Marcus
03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmm. My kingdom is arranged in nice, straight lines organized by building type, with the money buildings in neat rows assigned by time delay.

Its an orderly place.

The Big Weezy
03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Check out this thread by Jhoemel guys

Wow Hammer!! Who knew people had such nice decor?? I wish we could see it when visiting rivals or allies alike.

[MoC] Ian McGrath
03-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Wow Hammer!! Who knew people had such nice decor?? I wish we could see it when visiting rivals or allies alike.

I wonder why you can see decorations in CC and not KA.

[MoC] Ian McGrath
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
If I am moved to tears by the beauty of their manors then no, I will not attack.

echus14
03-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Usual reason for a "messy" kingdom is most efficient utilisation of space. Seen several of these and they are horrible to look at (looks like some inner city ghetto) but I have to give credit to the player for taking the time to work things out. As we probably all know, its a tedious business moving buildings around. Such kingdoms usually ignore localised impact of defence buildings.

The second common route is to arrange things to afford best defence building protection to key money buildings.

A less common but by no means rare kingdom is what has been described above in which there is a little route leading to some "far off" high value buildings. Once you've come across this kind of kingdom a couple of times though, the value (especially against the cost of all that land) of such a strategy is pretty limited.

The most innovative kingdom strategy I've come across was one where the player (who shall remain nameless out of respect) had obviously spent a lot of effort determining the exact view the software would show when anyone first visited his kingdom. What he did then was remove every building except his castle and avatar from that scene (and yes, the land cost must have been high). The impression it gave to a visitor was that his kingdom had been levelled and although the rubble was no longer showing, the buildings had not yet been raised again. However, if you "scrolled" away from this view, you would find the rest of his kingdom nicely set up out-of-first-view and with it, a couple of very nice high level manors (unfortunately, they were unavailable the few times I visited).
To that player ... I'm sure you know who you are if you read this forum ... kudos to you!

Shinazueli
03-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Usual reason for a "messy" kingdom is most efficient utilisation of space. Seen several of these and they are horrible to look at (looks like some inner city ghetto) but I have to give credit to the player for taking the time to work things out. As we probably all know, its a tedious business moving buildings around. Such kingdoms usually ignore localised impact of defence buildings.

The second common route is to arrange things to afford best defence building protection to key money buildings.

A less common but by no means rare kingdom is what has been described above in which there is a little route leading to some "far off" high value buildings. Once you've come across this kind of kingdom a couple of times though, the value (especially against the cost of all that land) of such a strategy is pretty limited.

The most innovative kingdom strategy I've come across was one where the player (who shall remain nameless out of respect) had obviously spent a lot of effort determining the exact view the software would show when anyone first visited his kingdom. What he did then was remove every building except his castle and avatar from that scene (and yes, the land cost must have been high). The impression it gave to a visitor was that his kingdom had been levelled and although the rubble was no longer showing, the buildings had not yet been raised again. However, if you "scrolled" away from this view, you would find the rest of his kingdom nicely set up out-of-first-view and with it, a couple of very nice high level manors (unfortunately, they were unavailable the few times I visited).
To that player ... I'm sure you know who you are if you read this forum ... kudos to you!

The best one I've seen is a complete kingdom centered with defense buildings surrounding a level 1 uncollected manor. Most people I'm assuming didn't even look for the other one, he never collected the one in the middle. Then he did the water trick because you had to scroll Allllll the way out to see the expansions, his water temple was that far out. I initially assumed that his first expansion was too close to land to build the temple. Upon further inspection, I found a level 6 manor on the opposite end of the map. He must have spent months expanding that far; it literally did a full loop of the entire map. Very creative, even I almost gave up, but I figured he'd put way too much work into it to be a dead end.

Shinazueli
03-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Also: to the picture poster person : the level 10 castle at the center ruins it for me, it makes the spot where my heart should be but instead contains a spreadsheet and a calculator cringe.

Seryna
03-06-2013, 12:38 AM
I do find it annoying when I see kingdoms with buildings crammed on top of each other. I understand the idea of making efficient use of space and not buying unnecessary land expansions but at least keep it organized. There is some defensive purpose though. There has been times where I've tried to raid a silo and accidentally raided another defense building instead because it was placed so closely. Gets annoying cuz then you end up losing units. While it hasn't necessarily dissuaded me from attacking in the first place it has made me stop continuing the attack if the payout isn't high enough for fear of accidentally raiding the wrong building and losing another unit.

Humpty
03-06-2013, 02:31 AM
I'm saving gold for the Guild, however will make pretty structured one later on. That is for sure.
One famous writer said: "It should be everything perfect in a person: his thoughts, and his look,
and his tongue"

P4TR1C14N
03-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Mine is very organized as i didn't have a lot of money in the beginning to expand land. I used every square 'meter' efficiently.

The Big Weezy
03-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Mine is very organized as i didn't have a lot of money in the beginning to expand land. I used every square 'meter' efficiently.

Same here, P4TR1C14N. Extra land and aesthetics didn't seem like something to spend money on until much higher priority things had been addressed. This is still the case in my peasant village (batteries not included, see Gree for details).

[MoC] Ian McGrath
03-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Same here, P4TR1C14N. Extra land and aesthetics didn't seem like something to spend money on until much higher priority things had been addressed. This is still the case in my peasant village (batteries not included, see Gree for details).

Beauty and Order should always be priorities!

P4TR1C14N
03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Ian McGrath;630121']Beauty and Order should always be priorities!

If beauty Cannot be archieved for my person... Lets do it for my kingdom :)

GreenGuru
03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
When I first started I started organizing my buildings by what they were named to create a kingdom in the likeness that a civil engineer might plan. I had my market place closely knit with the bazaars and shop buildings and my farms, lumber mill, and silos off in the distance where a rural setting would be. Than I had my urban setting with the castle and unit buildings set in a central "top of the kingdom" setting with houses, inns, taverns and such leading down the path towards the market place mentioned before. After the market place was my shipyards and fish markets right between them (much to the likeness of Seattle fish market, something I like very much about Seattle.)

Now however I have organized my kingdom more to collection time grouped so when I open my app I have the ones ready to collect always next to each other as opposed to flailing around my kingdom to make sure I collected everything. I find this efficiency much more beneficial for me at this time until I find my kingdom more set in stone to be lazy about.

I know others have done this as well so my kingdom lacks the uniqueness it once had, I at least still keep my bottomless pit outside my castle and surrounded by the unit buildings to create that sparta appeal :D

Clay01
03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
when I first started I just stuck things whereever they would fit

but over time, I gradually reorganized so that same bldgs were paired up together for ease of collection (or ease of misclicks and accidentally selling them, whichever comes first)

and I definitely didnt expand any more than I had to, since there was no point, with no new buildings.

but... I am an optimist, and I think at some point gree will introduce a new money building, or defense building, or something else

so, once I had max dragons, I bought a few more plots of land just in case...

I bought a path adjacent to the mountains... just in case they pull something sneaky there and open up that land, and I bought an extra water plot, again, just in case.

I'd rather have spent the money on extra land now, just in case, than be unprepared when a new bldg is added and I have to wait 48 hours for a new land plot...

but all of that was bought before the guilds were started, if I was in that boat now, I'd probably give that money to the guild instead.

I'll admit that certain kingdom organizations do annoy me almost to the point of attacking ANYTHING they have just for having made me waste my time going through their kingdom looking for something worthwhile to hit.

I've never bought decorations, though.

to each his own.

PorkChopExpress
03-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Ian, P4TR1C14N... send me invites... would love for you to take a look at my kingdom and let me know what you think...

Nxy
03-07-2013, 03:50 AM
I actually like organizing my kingdom. It tends to get alittle out of hand sometimes taking me an hour or 2 but i like to have everything evenly gaurded and my buildings of one type next to each other. But could just be a OCD that i've just never known about.

Tben64
03-07-2013, 04:03 AM
I actually like organizing my kingdom. It tends to get alittle out of hand sometimes taking me an hour or 2 but i like to have everything evenly gaurded and my buildings of one type next to each other. But could just be a OCD that i've just never known about.

+1 for possible OCD.My Kingdom is arranged around a central square with defence buildings spaced to give max cover to money buildings,subsequently I extended the land to give a separate "pleasure area"(taverns,brothels etc)"protected" by the castle and barracks!I've got too much time on my hands!;)

The Big Weezy
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM
+1 for possible OCD.My Kingdom is arranged around a central square with defence buildings spaced to give max cover to money buildings,subsequently I extended the land to give a separate "pleasure area"(taverns,brothels etc)"protected" by the castle and barracks!I've got too much time on my hands!;)

This sums up my yesterday quite well. ;)