PDA

View Full Version : Raid math - Help me understand

Sir Ventes
06-09-2013, 08:23 AM
I am having difficulty understanding how defense and attack work in raids. I was just successfully raided by a person with >400k attack than my defense. They had success on 8 of my buildings. Last week someone successfully raided 6 of my buildings and had attack of 650k less than my defense. I understand boosts from LTQs and Guild Wars and increasing attack skills but I have most of the boosts you can get too and the difference between their attack and my defense is significant. Can anyone explain this to me?

DIrishB
06-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Man, that's just...weird. And unlikely to the point of insanity.

travelingsalesman
06-10-2013, 08:37 AM
It isn't about the numbers anymore, it is about the percentages of the numbers...

say you have 1Mil defense for arguments sake, and someone with 800k attack successfully attacks you... Yes they are 200k below you, but that only accounts for 20%... if you think about their battle math... it has always been about relative strength, not an absolute number positioning.

Now if you have 2 mil defense... someone raiding you with 1.6M attack might seem more ridiculous, but remember, they are still only 20% weaker than you.

I have roughly 1.3M stats and I can successfully raid people with 2M defense... I lose the raids a few times, but those level 8 manors are worth it :)

Zenobia
06-10-2013, 10:57 AM
It makes sense that the numbers relate as a percentage not as an absolute numbers. It does NOT make sense that the game mechanics allow someone with attack 20% inferior to your offense to regularly win raids. That is way too high. It makes no sense once you get into 1 mil + defense to work your butt off, and spend a lot of gems, to get numbers 200k better than someone only for the game to decide you lose to them half the time. I have a problem with this aspect of the game mechanics. If 20% makes sense at the lower end of the stat spectrum, at higher numbers it should go down to 15% then 10%. That would make a lot more sense. With stat inflation should come adjustments to aspects of game mechanics like this.

Similarly, while on the subject of wonky game mechanics, the numbers for hero attack make no sense to me. I now have 135 skill points in Hero Strength. That, combined with my Champion's Cutlass (H) (102A) and Ancient Leathers (49A) gives me an average of 238 per hit. But the is huge. My hits are for as low as 204, and as high as 272. So I hit for 238 34. The range is 68! That is 29% of my average! It would be SO nice if, with an average of 238, I could count on killing a 220HP mob in one shot. But far from it. I can't even count on killing a 205HP mob in one.

MaverickMunkey
06-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Don't forget that we also need to take into account any points someone has invested into Attack points which do have an impact on the success or otherwise of the attack/raid.

Some have added these points instead of into HS and also the Cupid's Bow added 100 point to attack as well.

Sir Ventes
06-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks to all for the information. I better understand it now. All very good points. Still not sure i understand the player with 650k attack successfully raiding six buildings against my 1.2m defense but I do better understand the dynamics of all the variables. Thanks for the feedback all!

Shinazueli
06-11-2013, 07:01 PM
It's basically impossible to fail while raiding if you are anywhere in the ballpark of their stats. I'd say even half stats. It's set up that way to force you to collect on time. Yes, that sucks for those of us with those things called jobs. But it is what it is. For straight up attacking, not that anybody does that except for stones any more, it's much harder to win. I think you need to be fairly similar stats to win or have a cubic a$$ton of attack skill.

Mickeytah
06-12-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm not a fan of someone who is well below me being able to successfully raid me, but the bright side is that when someone with 8/900,000 attack raids one of my buildings despite me having 1,164,353 defense I can then use my 1,246,967 attack to beat repeatedly beat the crap out of them and make them regret ever attacking me. And if they have 500 allies, I am going to beat on them constantly until they fall of my newsfeed so I can go further in the Champion's Round and get the honor prize for each step.

jonny0284
06-13-2013, 04:57 AM
I can then repeatedly beat the crap out of them and make them regret ever attacking me. And if they have 500 allies, I am going to beat on them constantly until they fall of my newsfeed so I can go further in the Champion's Round and get the honor prize for each step.

Some people just haven't learned. Not having 500 allies has lessened the blows on me as well. Why waste a Stamina to not benefit from it?

I also don't attack anyone with less than 500 allies.

LordIndy
06-14-2013, 04:29 AM
Some people just haven't learned. Not having 500 allies has lessened the blows on me as well. Why waste a Stamina to not benefit from it?

I also don't attack anyone with less than 500 allies.

So you will pass my level 8 manor because I only have 499 allies?