PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to Walvis Bay, Nambia event (Epic Boss Event #2)

HornedOwl
09-17-2014, 08:18 AM
I was going to put this in another thread, but decided that may derail it, so I made it into it's own thread here......

Here is my opinion, Gree

Look at the reaction to this weeks event. Aside from those who were having the crash bug, there are many players enjoying this event. All this theory crafting on the best Units to use and stratagizing on rotations and such. There are players completing, some of us who are close to completing it, and others who are on trying to be on track to complete it by end of event, which is what all of us want. Then there are those players who.... after completing the Progress Rewards, keep going to gain or keep ranks earning even further rewards. Now this is not in all players interest, and that's perfectly fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, players are happy as we complete the event, and the competitive/completionist of us will continue to play for the Ranked rewards. Players want to complete each event, on our own schedule, without being REQUIRED to spend money just to complete the event. Now not everyone spends money on Free-to-play games, and that's expected. It's those players who populate the player base to make the game more interesting, interactive and more fun for those who, like me, will spend money into the game. Cumulatively, I think I am up around $220 spent in the 4 months or so I've been playing. I'm certain there are those who have contributed more than that.

In summary, I guess I can sum it up by saying, I believe making each weeks event more player friendly and completable will help this game flourish. Players love to earn rewards in the games we play. Events which are REQUIRE us to buy the ability to complete it (weekly in this case).... is just poor game design and it discourages players.

I hope to see future events that are as interesting, engaging and as interactive as this one,
Thanks

Tadaaah
09-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Hey HornedOwl,

This awesome feedback and encouragement for our teams. Thank you for taking the time to put this together and word it in a constructive manner. I, personally, love being able to pass along feedback word for word to encourage our teams to continue on the right track. Especially, when players are enjoying the hard work our teams are putting in to bring you this game. Thanks again!

Nich Brennen
09-17-2014, 06:59 PM
I don't get it the last boss event I completed, was even fighting the lvl 50 boss. This week I can't get past lvl 28. In two hours I get the boss to eleven percent that's it.. And I'm very upset that I'm wasting this time and not getting any further. I am a pay player and I've put a lot of time and money into this game and stalling out in an event is not agreeable with me.

HornedOwl
09-17-2014, 10:52 PM
I don't get it the last boss event I completed, was even fighting the lvl 50 boss. This week I can't get past lvl 28. In two hours I get the boss to eleven percent that's it.. And I'm very upset that I'm wasting this time and not getting any further. I am a pay player and I've put a lot of time and money into this game and stalling out in an event is not agreeable with me.

What units are you using?

What else do you have that your not using?

KillerKumaClone
09-18-2014, 02:43 AM
I'm getting so incredibly sick of the cash payouts. I need keys. Even bronze ones. Gotta have something to feed the units I want to train! I've cash flowing out my ears. And the stutter on the animation as its "rolling" your reward is really getting tiresome. It's okay that the officers give cash I suppose. But the bloody boss should be all keys! Especially above level 10 or level 15 boss.

Obamallama
09-18-2014, 03:00 AM

They've tweaked it so It's not real easy. It gets harder faster Which is much more balanced. Before I completed the whole thing in 3 days and my team wasn't unstoppable.

I'm loving the event too

BaziOne
09-18-2014, 05:31 AM
I love how I take down 30% of the boss in the first battle - and then take down 27% of the boss in the next THREE battles using the exact same units and deployment order/cadance. Real balanced there nice job Gree...

Nich Brennen
09-18-2014, 07:28 AM
I've tried everything I got, I only use Sr units and I run out of time to beat the boss at lvl 28 this will be the third time it's retreated and the frustration. Is getting to me. Wasting 2 hrs at a time for nothing but the measly officer rewards. I'm not gonna finish the event and I'm not! Spending more money to get the SR unit reward. So yeah I'm pissed.

HornedOwl
09-18-2014, 08:10 AM
I love how I take down 30% of the boss in the first battle - and then take down 27% of the boss in the next THREE battles using the exact same units and deployment order/cadance. Real balanced there nice job Gree...

If you look at the Boss Health bar, there are thresholds in there, when he reaches these thresholds, he does different things, More weapons, Anti-Air guns, speeds up, etc. He gives verbal ques as to what he is going to do. If your playing on 3x you will not be able to respond to it as optimally as you can on 1x.

If your deploying a lot of tanks when he has his anti-tank weapons out, or you deploy Helicopters when he has his Anti-air weapons out, that's why you may be having a hard time. It's a phased fight and you have to adopt your tactic accordingly, mid battle.

Bring a balanced army, try not to have expensive units. Rocket Squads seem to be popular.

Tadaaah
09-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Awesome seeing y'all talk strategy with other players. This event is definitely not suppose to be a cake walk and get harder as you move up the levels. We encourage you if you are having a difficult time to ask your friends and others for help. Keep at it; you got this!

Weepit the Only II
09-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Another boring Gree cash grab. Almost everyone I know is sitting this out.

Obamallama
09-18-2014, 05:22 PM
I think that could just be you with the rewards thing. I get silver keys all the time from boss fights

Nich Brennen
09-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Yeah no we don't

Obamallama
09-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah no we don't

I actually get lots of silver keys from boss fights but none from campaign as That's much more rigged

KillerKumaClone
09-19-2014, 11:32 PM
I've realized after a bit of experimenting that the high percentage of cash payouts is only occurring on my iPad. The payout is much less skewed on my iPhone (which I hadn't been playing as much earlier in the week so that's becoming apparent now.). My iPad is pretty full up. So I'm wondering if there's a problem executing the code/graphics/memory occurring in the rewards "roll" sequence. The stutter I've been describing definitely seems like it could be linked. The worse that stutter, the more likely it seems to be that I end up with cash. My average is between 70-75% cash reward drops from the boss on my iPad. I seem to get crash/exited out to either the first boss menu or the main menu over 50% of the time with no event points awarded after getting my cash or key reward (when answering distress calls.)

Obamallama
09-20-2014, 12:45 AM
I get each at 33% on my iPod touch gen 4 (don't laugh at meeeee it lags so bad)

Nich Brennen
09-20-2014, 06:43 AM
I actually get lots of silver keys from boss fights but none from campaign as That's much more rigged

Wasn't talking about keys bud,

Nich Brennen
09-20-2014, 07:07 AM
There is no way I'm gonna finish this event, relying on help from other people who are relying on help aswell does not get the boss killed. Stuck on lvl 34 retreated more times than I can count. I'm pissed and frustrated, all I want to do is finish events. I'm done spending money to finish an event. I've spent more money than I should on this game and still not getting anywhere. You know what you can do with this event. Don't expect any more purchases out of me.

KillerKumaClone
09-20-2014, 07:22 AM
I've found with the events that finishing them is almost never possible (at least so far.) But every event I get further. I used to get incredibly frustrated by only being able to reach a certain point. But now I try to focus on the fact that each successive event I am getting further. Getting more points and more rewards. So I definitely know I'm getting stronger.

I'm ecstatic about my Alliance's progress in this Boss Battle. For the last several events we've been consistently topping out in the 500's. Which I thought was pretty darn good considering our shortage of players. We gained 3 new active players this week. Our ranking this morning when I checked was 301. We're on the threshold of breaking the 200's! And this is only the morning of day 6.

Celebrate your achievements and your progress. :)

Alliance: Gurkorna1337 (http://forums.gree.net/group.php?groupid=808)
Leader: KillerKuma
Message: Now Recruiting. Fight for Honor and Pickles! Casual Players Welcome.

Obamallama
09-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Wasn't talking about keys bud,

What we're you talking about bud?

Obamallama
09-20-2014, 02:35 PM
There is no way I'm gonna finish this event, relying on help from other people who are relying on help aswell does not get the boss killed. Stuck on lvl 34 retreated more times than I can count. I'm pissed and frustrated, all I want to do is finish events. I'm done spending money to finish an event. I've spent more money than I should on this game and still not getting anywhere. You know what you can do with this event. Don't expect any more purchases out of me.

You don't have to finish the event. The events aren't made to be finished by everyone. They give out the best units at the end and they can just give them out to anyone. If you can't finish boss events then you aren't strong enough so keep getting stronger until you can beat the levels.

hellscaretaker
09-20-2014, 06:32 PM
Oh yeah I wonder who that can be that's given you a leg up :-)

I've found with the events that finishing them is almost never possible (at least so far.) But every event I get further. I used to get incredibly frustrated by only being able to reach a certain point. But now I try to focus on the fact that each successive event I am getting further. Getting more points and more rewards. So I definitely know I'm getting stronger.

I'm ecstatic about my Alliance's progress in this Boss Battle. For the last several events we've been consistently topping out in the 500's. Which I thought was pretty darn good considering our shortage of players. We gained 3 new active players this week. Our ranking this morning when I checked was 301. We're on the threshold of breaking the 200's! And this is only the morning of day 6.

Celebrate your achievements and your progress. :)

Alliance: Gurkorna1337 (http://forums.gree.net/group.php?groupid=808)
Leader: KillerKuma
Message: Now Recruiting. Fight for Honor and Pickles! Casual Players Welcome.

hellscaretaker
09-20-2014, 06:53 PM
I've tried everything I got, I only use Sr units and I run out of time to beat the boss at lvl 28 this will be the third time it's retreated and the frustration. Is getting to me. Wasting 2 hrs at a time for nothing but the measly officer rewards. I'm not gonna finish the event and I'm not! Spending more money to get the SR unit reward. So yeah I'm pissed.

You think you have problems, I hit my wall at just level 9!. I bet me is not only one as well, I know I not got strong enough units that was plane for me to see when I compared mine against the AI. There is not much I can do about, spending t money is not the option. Ok I give them £13.00 as I was curious what the gold chest give me and to be honest nothing that I couldn't get from just grinding away at the game. Yes we all like the SR but then they wouldn't be Super Rare if easy to get hold of.

I hate to say it but me,you we all donkeys trying to catch the carrot that's just out of reach on the stick, most free to play games run the same model. You what a super unit you either grind for it or take the quick option and throw money at game.

In the boss event I have managed to bag a rare tank, from rewards don't know how good it is but it's my first rare reward unit from event. So you just have to stick out, increasing your group power as and when you can, and I'm sure you will beat the game eventfully

Obamallama
09-20-2014, 08:40 PM
You think you have problems, I hit my wall at just level 9!. I bet me is not only one as well, I know I not got strong enough units that was plane for me to see when I compared mine against the AI. There is not much I can do about, spending t money is not the option. Ok I give them £13.00 as I was curious what the gold chest give me and to be honest nothing that I couldn't get from just grinding away at the game. Yes we all like the SR but then they wouldn't be Super Rare if easy to get hold of.

I hate to say it but me,you we all donkeys trying to catch the carrot that's just out of reach on the stick, most free to play games run the same model. You what a super unit you either grind for it or take the quick option and throw money at game.

In the boss event I have managed to bag a rare tank, from rewards don't know how good it is but it's my first rare reward unit from event. So you just have to stick out, increasing your group power as and when you can, and I'm sure you will beat the game eventfully

^^^^yep this kid gets it

KillerKumaClone
09-21-2014, 09:44 AM
"<Player name> helped you take out the boss." --- translation: "<player name> just #@$%ed you out of getting any points for the morale you spent to fight in this battle."

This has got to change for the next boss battle! If I spend morale, I deserve an honest chance to beat the boss and gain points when answering distress calls. Otherwise, once you cannot beat your own boss anymore, you basically have almost ZERO chance of earning more points. Unless you happen to get very lucky.

Maybe if you get beat out by other for a chance at points, your morale should be refunded. That way you don't get ripped off.

On my iPhone game, I can beat only 3 of the 4 officers guarding my boss now. Ironically it's not the highest level officer, but the supposedly second highest that I just cannot defeat. So I am prevented from earning any more big points. No one is helping me with this officer. So I'm completely stalled. I can't even get at my boss. My only option is to answer other players distress calls.

But I get points off less than 1 in 9 distress call boss fight battles. The rest of the time some stronger or faster player beats the boss before I can finish him. This seems great if you want keys and cash. Because you could get in, do nothing and get a reward. But if you need points (just a few more for that unit reward you've nearly earned with all your hard work) this arrangement is terrible. I get knocked out of the chance to earn points repeatedly despite having spent my limited morale resource.

Effectively this poor choice on GREE's part means that once you can't beat your own boss' officers anymore, the entire event is virtually over for you. You can nickel-and-dime points off officer fights. Or spend a lot of morale praying for that long shot. That's not a very effective way to encourage people to keep playing. If they aren't playing, they definitely aren't paying. So you may really want to give a rethink to how distress calls should work.

Also, if someone in my alliance puts out a distress call, I should be able to help. But the current distress call display makes it highly improbable you will be able to find them to help. Another bungle.

Overall I think the Epic Boss Battles are fun. But a lot could be improved considerably for future events.

User271320
09-21-2014, 11:02 AM
It's all about the help your alliance can give you. I was in a very weak alliance until I changed to a top 10 alliance earlier this week. We have been helping each other out in the boss battle. Sure, I don't get the maximum points, but at least I get over 10K worth of points when the boss is beaten. You have to get yourself strong enough so you can take out the generals that protect the boss then you and your alliance team up to smash the boss. Don't make your game public until you have used your first 3 morales against the boss. Then, make it public and if you're in a strong alliance, your partners will help finish the boss off.

@Tadaaah - I do think it would be helpful if we had the option to turn off the public button as I sometimes hit by accident. Also, thanks for turning on the reinforcements option as some alliances didn't have that for most of the week.

Overall, great game. I see there's a lot of constructive feedback and hopefully we see some of that incorporated in the next update.

Happy hunting...

KillerKumaClone
09-21-2014, 12:43 PM
It's all about the help your alliance can give you. I was in a very weak alliance until I changed to a top 10 alliance earlier this week. We have been helping each other out in the boss battle. Sure, I don't get the maximum points, but at least I get over 10K worth of points when the boss is beaten. You have to get yourself strong enough so you can take out the generals that protect the boss then you and your alliance team up to smash the boss. Don't make your game public until you have used your first 3 morales against the boss. Then, make it public and if you're in a strong alliance, your partners will help finish the boss off.

@Tadaaah - I do think it would be helpful if we had the option to turn off the public button as I sometimes hit by accident. Also, thanks for turning on the reinforcements option as some alliances didn't have that for most of the week.

Overall, great game. I see there's a lot of constructive feedback and hopefully we see some of that incorporated in the next update.

Happy hunting...

The problem is that most of the time I can't find the alliance members that need help in the distress calls. Too bad they didn't make the alliance chat notification function as a link to go help. Yet another example of GREE failing basic logic 101.

Both my iPad game and iPhone game are in the sane alliance. I cannot find and help my iPhone game from the iPad. I can't seem to find and help other alliance members either. Epic Fail GREE.

For some reason you don't seem to get the most basic fundamental concepts behind alliances/guilds/clans. If we can't assist each other. Can't recruit. Can't share stuff. What is the bloody point?

I am getting increasingly fed up. The amount of effort and time required to gain 4 new players for my alliance was unbelievable. Only 28 more to go. Gaaaahhh!

Most of this could be fixed. But maybe you really do have no concept of how this should/needs to work. Perhaps you need to play more games yourselves and learn what a real alliance should be able to do. Because right now you're like children finger painting and calling yourselves serious artists.

hellscaretaker
09-21-2014, 02:10 PM
The first time Gee started boss events the only people that you would come across on distress where your own alliance members which was good yet I found I was locked in with all alliance members who themselfs couldn't beat there own boss, so no one could get points.

This time around now everyone distress is on your screen, so no we can't help our own team mates. Suggestion would be to create two lots of distress help. By it those of your team mates and those of general players.

Gee said and I don't know if this been fixed this time around that if you played the game on fast mode you could beat other players playing the boss level so ineffect you could of done must of the heavy lifting in beating the boss and another player on fast mode comes along and finishes him off taking all the points.

Some kind of stoppage i would of thought needs to be in place to stop this maybe once one player answered the call no one else can join in? I don't know how this is too do?

By the way at 38 me is no kid....as someone commented......

Obamallama
09-21-2014, 03:40 PM
There's a little kid in all of us

KillerKumaClone
09-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Gee said and I don't know if this been fixed this time around that if you played the game on fast mode you could beat other players playing the boss level so ineffect you could of done must of the heavy lifting in beating the boss and another player on fast mode comes along and finishes him off taking all the points.

I was using fast play mode (3x.) Still getting screwed by other players. Presumably ones that got into the fray seconds before me. Or ones that could simply deal more damage faster.

Either way, I LOSE morale and get ZERO points. Which is what has me upset. I feel cheated. It's not the players fault. It's GREE's bad logic - 100% to blame.

How about gifting us all some morale recharges or refills as an apology GREE? Return what was stolen/wasted senselessly by this bad decision on your part.

I should be asking for the 3rd Persephone tank I was denied because of all the points I never got a fair chance to earn having paid my quarter (morale.)

Ldomino
09-24-2014, 10:57 AM
"<Player name> helped you take out the boss." --- translation: "<player name> just #@$%ed you out of getting any points for the morale you spent to fight in this battle."

This has got to change for the next boss battle! If I spend morale, I deserve an honest chance to beat the boss and gain points when answering distress calls. Otherwise, once you cannot beat your own boss anymore, you basically have almost ZERO chance of earning more points. Unless you happen to get very lucky.

Maybe if you get beat out by other for a chance at points, your morale should be refunded. That way you don't get ripped off.

On my iPhone game, I can beat only 3 of the 4 officers guarding my boss now. Ironically it's not the highest level officer, but the supposedly second highest that I just cannot defeat. So I am prevented from earning any more big points. No one is helping me with this officer. So I'm completely stalled. I can't even get at my boss. My only option is to answer other players distress calls.

But I get points off less than 1 in 9 distress call boss fight battles. The rest of the time some stronger or faster player beats the boss before I can finish him. This seems great if you want keys and cash. Because you could get in, do nothing and get a reward. But if you need points (just a few more for that unit reward you've nearly earned with all your hard work) this arrangement is terrible. I get knocked out of the chance to earn points repeatedly despite having spent my limited morale resource.

Effectively this poor choice on GREE's part means that once you can't beat your own boss' officers anymore, the entire event is virtually over for you. You can nickel-and-dime points off officer fights. Or spend a lot of morale praying for that long shot. That's not a very effective way to encourage people to keep playing. If they aren't playing, they definitely aren't paying. So you may really want to give a rethink to how distress calls should work.

Also, if someone in my alliance puts out a distress call, I should be able to help. But the current distress call display makes it highly improbable you will be able to find them to help. Another bungle.

Overall I think the Epic Boss Battles are fun. But a lot could be improved considerably for future events.
I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but I find it frustrating to spend my morale or energy to answer a distress call and then find out…too late…that someone else answered it too and though I helped take the boss out I get zero points. Gree needs to put a lockout in so that the distress call can't be answered as soon as someone else activates morale or energy to start a battle. Otherwise, you end up with 2 people working at it at the same time. Also there needs to be some reward for fighting the officers for someone when they've revived. Several times I answered a distress call, saw that 1 or more officers had revived, and had to beat them all before I could help finish the boss off. Yet, the original player got all the points for defeating the officers. If you're going to let them revive, you need to offer a second round of mvp points for the players who defeat them again. And, again, lock out the distress call once morale or energy is activated to fight the battles.

Obamallama
09-24-2014, 02:11 PM
The problem is that your damage is only dealt when you finish

KillerKumaClone
09-25-2014, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but I find it frustrating to spend my morale or energy to answer a distress call and then find out…too late…that someone else answered it too and though I helped take the boss out I get zero points. Gree needs to put a lockout in so that the distress call can't be answered as soon as someone else activates morale or energy to start a battle. Otherwise, you end up with 2 people working at it at the same time. Also there needs to be some reward for fighting the officers for someone when they've revived. Several times I answered a distress call, saw that 1 or more officers had revived, and had to beat them all before I could help finish the boss off. Yet, the original player got all the points for defeating the officers. If you're going to let them revive, you need to offer a second round of mvp points for the players who defeat them again. And, again, lock out the distress call once morale or energy is activated to fight the battles.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I suspect in some cases there were several people answering a distress call at once. And it was first-to-finish gets it all. It was not particularly fun.

There's several ways to solve this.

1.) don't show any 2 players the same distress call. Probably not the most practical solution and quite possibly not a workable solution depending on the number of players.

2.) Let every player finish helping and award them points. Basically, the first person to successfully assist is the one who actually helped. But everyone else who jumped on to help before the boss was defeated still gets to finish their combat and be awarded points as if they were the only one that answered the distress call. This is probably the most fair and workable solution. The final processing gets handled server side but all those who help get rewarded fairly for contributing.

3.) Once someone's answered a distress call, lock out any other entrants until that players combat is over. This is asking a lot of connections and information exchange between the game and servers. Probably not the most practical solution despite being the most fair theoretical model (if we ignore the data transmission aspect.)

Whether it was actually working better or not I don't know. But during the first epic boss campaign this issue didn't seem to exist. It was an extremely noticeable and frustrating problem in the Walvis Bay, Namibia campaign though.