PDA

View Full Version : Why is this week's versus event short? Tadaaah, please shed some light.

Amadeus
09-22-2014, 10:49 AM
I noticed Gree mentioned in the news section that this week's versus event is going to last only 5 days? Will someone like to shed some light on the reason for these changes? This goes back to my older posts in regards to Gree not keeping it's customers informed on what is going on.

AmadeusINC
Commanding Officer

Bloodanguts
09-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Your wasting your breath dude.

Obamallama
09-22-2014, 03:20 PM
They could have a new event or new features that they want to add sooner rather than later.

HornedOwl
09-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I am actually a bit anxious to see what it will be. Hoping it will be something cool.

Obamallama
09-22-2014, 03:42 PM
It wouldn't be a fix because they wouldn't have to change the event to add a fix. It'll be a new feature or something

hellscaretaker
09-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Or it could simply be just a sneaky way in hoping people will spend more to get that unit as it's a short event no one thought of thst ?

eagleProphet
09-22-2014, 06:08 PM
My total spent on the game so far is $0.00. Shortening an event won't change that.

Obamallama
09-22-2014, 06:15 PM
My total spent on the game so far is $0.00. Shortening an event won't change that.

^^^

This is how to enjoy the game. You don't get pissed at it when it hasn't cost you anything

User271320
09-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Is it me or are the reward units a bit on the light side and they are only offered after accumulating most of the points? Also, the same with the keys. The first gold key is not offered until 21,000 points. I'm currently in top 500 with over 11,000 points. No way I make it to 40,000 for that first Hammer. And that 1 hammer is useless unless I make it to 200,000 to gain all Hammers so I can level them up.

I'm still hopeful there's a good reason for cutting the event short. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe there is a cool new mission yet to come...

Obamallama
09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Is it me or are the reward units a bit on the light side and they are only offered after accumulating most of the points? Also, the same with the keys. The first gold key is not offered until 21,000 points. I'm currently in top 500 with over 11,000 points. No way I make it to 40,000 for that first Hammer. And that 1 hammer is useless unless I make it to 200,000 to gain all Hammers so I can level them up.

I'm still hopeful there's a good reason for cutting the event short. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe there is a cool new mission yet to come...

Verse events have always been impossible to progress through Which is annoying. The lower point rewards Come much more Which is better for low level people that can only get to those levels.

Intimid
09-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Oh. I thought they were just pulling back their event schedule by 2 days and this was how they approached it so instead of it finishing on Monday (AUS time), it would finish on Saturday (AUS time). They must have some reason for doing this though. Maybe it is more convenient for people to start and finish their events as it does not clash with school times, etc. By doing this, maybe more people will be inclined to waste their boosters to gain a head start over others or gain/maintain a better rank. I am probably mistaken by this is my theory based on Gree's greed. :3

KillerKumaClone
09-24-2014, 05:09 AM
Maybe they are going to try a weekend event. I have noticed the number of players becomes more erratic on the weekend. Which makes sense. People's lives are often more structured during the work/school week. The weekend people may either have lots or very little time for gaming.

Ldomino
09-24-2014, 09:48 AM
I think this is another hurriedly assembled "event" while they work on putting together a new Boss event or campaign event and more campaigns for the campaigning option (I'm done with all of them). This one is likely shorter because they don't get the participation (and thus, money being spent) on these that don't have a lot of good rewards. I hate the pvp events myself.

eagleProphet
09-24-2014, 09:59 AM
I already have a maxed out Hammer. It was one of my very first maxed out Rare units that helped me advance through earlier campaigns. I quit using it once I won better tanks like Reaping Truth and Persephone, so I'm not too excited at the chance of getting another one. Hoping for a new, exciting event to come with better rewards.

Obamallama
09-24-2014, 01:59 PM
I think this is another hurriedly assembled "event" while they work on putting together a new Boss event or campaign event and more campaigns for the campaigning option (I'm done with all of them). This one is likely shorter because they don't get the participation (and thus, money being spent) on these that don't have a lot of good rewards. I hate the pvp events myself.

I hate pvp events too.

Obamallama
09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
I already have a maxed out Hammer. It was one of my very first maxed out Rare units that helped me advance through earlier campaigns. I quit using it once I won better tanks like Reaping Truth and Persephone, so I'm not too excited at the chance of getting another one. Hoping for a new, exciting event to come with better rewards.

He hammer isn't so bad if you fit it into your team right. I would love a maxed hammer to fit into a different team layout I have which would turn it into a wall of destruction. I'd kick out my hastrabul if I had a hammer

BaziOne
09-24-2014, 11:24 PM
It's always about money with Gree - everything, and I mean everything, is done with the aim of sucking more cash from players. It's never about improving the player experience. In this case, they put up SR trainers and shortened the event so you have to spend to get them.

Obamallama
09-25-2014, 01:11 AM
It's always about money with Gree - everything, and I mean everything, is done with the aim of sucking more cash from players. It's never about improving the player experience. In this case, they put up SR trainers and shortened the event so you have to spend to get them.

You always have to spend to get to the end of verse and I'd say it about 85% money and 15% making a Good game because they do add more. They could just leave it and make boring same events and still make tons of money but they continue to add more features. I'd say that makes up about 15%

KillerKumaClone
09-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Ok, the ONLY reason ANY games and apps are added to the AppStore these days is with the intention of making money. Part of the problem for developers is how to balance those that never spend a dime on these "free" games with those that do pay. In a way we can hardly blame them for trying to entice us to spend money. It's why they are here. And they have costs associated with delivering new events. They have to pay someone to do the programming, someone to do the art, and someone to manage things. In GREE's case, they also have to pay someone to manage us lot on these boards.

All this said, there are some companies that do it better than others. I would say GREE is definitely not the worst. They are middle-of-the-road in terms of "push" to buy. You can still play this game without spending money. It's not easy, and you'll not always get to the end of events. But it's possible to play. I've played games that are virtually impossible from horrible developers. This isn't one of them. That said, there are also a few gems out there that have done IAP elegantly and unobtrusively. The "counterfeit machine" purchase in JetPack Joyride for example ($0.99 purchase to double every coin you collect forever.) It's a brilliant value to the player and a very inticing offer from the vendor. But let's face it, not every game is going to have the mass-appeal to pull off being happy with so little cash spent.

Other games involving upset birds are actually mining a great deal of personal data about you and selling it. We all pretty much loathe the ad supported games that splash annoying stuff on the screen. So how do developers get paid for the legitimate time and expense they put into making these games without annoying us? Remember ALL developers need to turn a profit. They are not running charities here.

I'm not saying I don't mind IAP. I just had to disable IAP because my purchases were getting to be a bit out of hand. I also deleted some games by terrible publishers. This one didn't make that grade. It survived my house cleaning. So they are definitely not the worst.

Every once and a while, lets put ourselves in the developers shoes. Remember they gotta pay bills and eat just like the rest of us.

Tadaaah
09-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Hey guys,

Apologies for the delay, I've been out. Yes, both events have been shortened. We're always trying new things to make the game more exciting and changing up game play. As always, your feedback is welcome. Remember to keep it classy. Thanks. :)

BaziOne
09-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Sorry - but to me - Gree are like locusts. They don't create any new games, they just buy them up, milk them (and the players) dry, and then discard them. Go and read some of the other game forums if you need more proof (and want to see what is in store for this game).

KillerKumaClone
09-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Sorry - but to me - Gree are like locusts. They don't create any new games, they just buy them up, milk them (and the players) dry, and then discard them. Go and read some of the other game forums if you need more proof (and want to see what is in store for this game).

Lets look at this differently. They may buy games other developers failed to successfully monetize. (Proven by the fact that they were sold off.) And tries to turn them around to show some profit. In some cases it must have proved unsuccessful. But the game could have been allowed to die by (or with) the original developer. At least these games are getting a chance to live on.

But at the end of the day, making new content (events, units, and so on) to keep us entertained costs money. They are not doing it to be nice. They are not doing it to lose money. They are trying to turn a profit. Which if a game cannot do, it is not successful. If a game no longer turns a profit, it is no longer successful. Well, game titles, just like employees that don't perform will find themselves on the curb.

Don't hate the game maker/maintainer for trying to do what is necessary. That said, there is a fine line between monetizing and ruining a game. They're gonna get it wrong sometimes. Instead of moaning about it, we need to come up with workable suggestions for them. Got any?

It's got to be incredibly hard to walk the line between providing enough incentive to get at least some players to spend money and making the game playable for those that cannot or refuse to spend money. Obviously they are going to care more about those that do pay. But the latter are the way in which the developer tries to make it feel as though its a choice rather than a requirement to make IAPs. But they are using quite a few tricks to entice purchases. Balancing them is like a high wire unicycle act juggling flaming 10lb bowling balls. (Pretty damned tricky if not nearly impossible.) There's always going to be some customers who aren't happy that they didn't use 25lb flaming medicine balls and do the whole act over a tank full of sharks.

So lets all try to put this into perspective. If you aren't paying. Remember someone out there making an IAP, just meant the servers stayed powered up for another 15 minutes.

garen argon
09-25-2014, 12:50 PM
the pvp only events are truly boring after a few days...i for one am thrilled that they shortened the event !!!!!

Obamallama
09-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Lets look at this differently. They may buy games other developers failed to successfully monetize. (Proven by the fact that they were sold off.) And tries to turn them around to show some profit. In some cases it must have proved unsuccessful. But the game could have been allowed to die by (or with) the original developer. At least these games are getting a chance to live on.

But at the end of the day, making new content (events, units, and so on) to keep us entertained costs money. They are not doing it to be nice. They are not doing it to lose money. They are trying to turn a profit. Which if a game cannot do, it is not successful. If a game no longer turns a profit, it is no longer successful. Well, game titles, just like employees that don't perform will find themselves on the curb.

Don't hate the game maker/maintainer for trying to do what is necessary. That said, there is a fine line between monetizing and ruining a game. They're gonna get it wrong sometimes. Instead of moaning about it, we need to come up with workable suggestions for them. Got any?

It's got to be incredibly hard to walk the line between providing enough incentive to get at least some players to spend money and making the game playable for those that cannot or refuse to spend money. Obviously they are going to care more about those that do pay. But the latter are the way in which the developer tries to make it feel as though its a choice rather than a requirement to make IAPs. But they are using quite a few tricks to entice purchases. Balancing them is like a high wire unicycle act juggling flaming 10lb bowling balls. (Pretty damned tricky if not nearly impossible.) There's always going to be some customers who aren't happy that they didn't use 25lb flaming medicine balls and do the whole act over a tank full of sharks.

So lets all try to put this into perspective. If you aren't paying. Remember someone out there making an IAP, just meant the servers stayed powered up for another 15 minutes.

I Love you

Obamallama
09-25-2014, 01:08 PM
You know their bad customer service and pushing of purchases are completely unrelated. I feel like a ton of their bad reputation is fabricated by players that have bad experiences with game glitches of this game that development is still in progress and problems not resolved by their crappy customer service. That said they still aren't angels.

Amadeus
09-25-2014, 01:47 PM
I hate pvp events too.

PVP is awesome! It is the only challenging event in my opinion. Boss battles are a bit challenging but they are boring and it is the same boss over and over...but anyways.

AmadeusINC
Commanding Officer

Amadeus
09-25-2014, 01:55 PM

Well said sir. I have suggestion for Gree .. Let's decrease the response time to our support tickets. 1 month is a little bit ridiculous for me. After the second weeks passes and community manager says to just be patient makes me quite livid...then another week passes...no one says a thing...etc...Anyways. Happy gaming.

AmadeusINC
Commanding Officer

Obamallama
09-25-2014, 02:48 PM
PVP is awesome! It is the only challenging event in my opinion. Boss battles are a bit challenging but they are boring and it is the same boss over and over...but anyways.

AmadeusINC
Commanding Officer

Pvp is fun but the event is too difficult to reach the end for my liking.

KillerKumaClone
09-25-2014, 03:22 PM
I Love you

Um...

O_o

Obamallama
09-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Um...

O_o

No homo o3o

BaziOne
09-26-2014, 11:57 AM
No homos - but sounds like some Gree employees posting here trying enhance their reputation

I have no issue with a dev trying to make money on a game. It would be naive to think otherwise. It's just the way Gree go about it so poorly that is the issue. Years ago when I first started playing other Gree games I might have agreed with the above comments. However, years of experience in multiple Gree games has taught me otherwise.

KillerKumaClone
09-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Who are you suggesting might be a GREE employee? Me perhaps? No chance. Have you read any of my other posts? I'm not their biggest fan. Nor am I their biggest detractor. If I worked for them, I'm pretty sure I'd be in trouble for speaking my mind here repeatedly.

I did try to point out that the complaints about "cash grabs" are perhaps a bit out of proportion with reality. Reality check: this is business they are running. It's got to make money. Or you'll be complaining next about them discontinuing the game. I don't want that. As much as there's some issues, I like playing this game.

Ruckus51
09-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Personally i like the short events. For the players who pay to be better than the "causual" player it makes the most sense. I finish most events in 2-3 days anyway and then do NOTHING in the game for 3 days waiting on the next event. This was a stroke of genius. Finally i get rewarded for playing hard and spending to be the best. Im sorry that the causuals dont like it, but frankly I dont care. If you want the best units in a game that has the option of PAYING ....you will end up paying in the end. Otherwize be causual and have a causually good group.

Obamallama
09-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Personally i like the short events. For the players who pay to be better than the "causual" player it makes the most sense. I finish most events in 2-3 days anyway and then do NOTHING in the game for 3 days waiting on the next event. This was a stroke of genius. Finally i get rewarded for playing hard and spending to be the best. Im sorry that the causuals dont like it, but frankly I dont care. If you want the best units in a game that has the option of PAYING ....you will end up paying in the end. Otherwize be causual and have a causually good group.

I sort of agree with this but I still believe that a week long event is better. Everyone expects to reach the end as if the game is handing out freebies. The rewards should be available for people that devote a lot of time to it too and play the game right. An event time of 3 days doesn't annoy me, in fact I like it but when the required score is almost the same as a week then I think that's a bit too much.

Ruckus51
09-28-2014, 08:27 PM
I sort of agree with this but I still believe that a week long event is better. Everyone expects to reach the end as if the game is handing out freebies. The rewards should be available for people that devote a lot of time to it too and play the game right. An event time of 3 days doesn't annoy me, in fact I like it but when the required score is almost the same as a week then I think that's a bit too much.

To me this is no different than CC or MW in how their events are setup. I think there is a happy medium. POSSIBLY offering an "elite" or "Prestige" mode similar to the aforementioned games. This allows the free/causual player to compete the event, and the more devoted players the option to spend on Elite/prestigeous units that they desire. I think that would be a win-win.

Obamallama
09-28-2014, 09:31 PM
To me this is no different than CC or MW in how their events are setup. I think there is a happy medium. POSSIBLY offering an "elite" or "Prestige" mode similar to the aforementioned games. This allows the free/causual player to compete the event, and the more devoted players the option to spend on Elite/prestigeous units that they desire. I think that would be a win-win.

I think one of the strengths of this game is that there are no units exclusive to paying players. I do like the idea of extending the reward scoreboard for paying customers so people that reach the end have more to play and win

Tadaaah
09-30-2014, 10:35 AM
There is some really awesome feedback and points in this thread. Balance is tricky, but the teams really do want to create a great player experience. They do come here and read your feedback. They take a lot discussions here into consideration. Thank you all for taking the time to write it all out and voice your opinion.

Additionally for clarification, are y'all saying you wouldn't mind seeing much harder modes if it meant the extension of events?

KillerKumaClone
09-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I think that's one possibility.

Obamallama
09-30-2014, 01:15 PM
that would be interesting but not harder as to block everyone from getting half way but harder to make you change your team for each level.

KillerKumaClone
09-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Multi-phase events could be interesting too. Events that are tied together somehow. Like a counter-measure unit that carries over. And a reward table that continues even though week 1 was an invasion and week 2 is a boss.

Red vs Blue. Divide all the players who log on during an event evenly to two teams. The teams are competing for top bidding. Winning team members get a SR or UR reward unit. Or the division could be by alliances. So entire alliances are on the same team.

Silentoblivion
10-01-2014, 03:19 AM
Multi-phase events could be interesting too. Events that are tied together somehow. Like a counter-measure unit that carries over. And a reward table that continues even though week 1 was an invasion and week 2 is a boss.

Red vs Blue. Divide all the players who log on during an event evenly to two teams. The teams are competing for top bidding. Winning team members get a SR or UR reward unit. Or the division could be by alliances. So entire alliances are on the same team.

The problem with the divided teams, is that the way alliance communication, and overall player contact in the game is non-existent, I cant talk to my aliance members, how would we talk to our "team". I personally think, if it aint broke dont fix it, pay to win players and free to play players both have a fair shot at the week long event prizes. payers buy all the mats they need to win, and free to players hoard and strategize to reach the end perfect balance( except pvp, thats just awful), shorter events limit the involvement of free to players, simply because, the prizes are just as high as the week long events, and the time it takes to recharge mats does not allow to reach any significant benchmark in points.

BaziOne
10-01-2014, 04:03 AM
The problem with the divided teams, is that the way alliance communication, and overall player contact in the game is non-existent, I cant talk to my aliance members, how would we talk to our "team". I personally think, if it aint broke dont fix it, pay to win players and free to play players both have a fair shot at the week long event prizes. payers buy all the mats they need to win, and free to players hoard and strategize to reach the end perfect balance( except pvp, thats just awful), shorter events limit the involvement of free to players, simply because, the prizes are just as high as the week long events, and the time it takes to recharge mats does not allow to reach any significant benchmark in points.

Exactly - well said!

KillerKumaClone
10-01-2014, 04:43 PM

I never suggested communication. Basically one lump of players versus another. (I agree, communication is definitely not something GREE understands.)

I thought up a great reward for the winning side - an SR officer. That would be significant motivation for almost all of us to fight our hearts out.

Silentoblivion
10-01-2014, 07:07 PM
I agree with you, I would def burn through all my mats for one of those, not sure how gree would decide on how many people or who recieve the SR officers, but I doubt 50% of the players would get it because they are on the winning side, then again, there is no way a free to play player, or a casual person that plays would be able to out rank a big spender.