How many mafia should you have

GREE

GREE Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many mafia should you have

Banned
    Post Count

How many mafia should you have

What are the benefits of having a large mafia?

I am at level 48 and have around 140 or so but I see most people at my level have more. I could easily increase but that's not where I have been concentrating and just wondered whether it will benefit me or will go against me in that I then have to equip them.

Thanks

Post Count
    This another one of those complicated subjects. I recommend you search and find the numerous previous threads that deal with this issue.

If you cannot equip your mafia with very good gear, then there is no advantage to a big mafia, and it will actually be a disadvantage.

When you get to high enough level that you can be seen by people 15+ levels above you, having a small mafia may well shield you against some or even all of those attacks.
    GREE(D) is trying to put the fun back into Funzio.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    This another one of those complicated subjects. I recommend you search and find the numerous previous threads that deal with this issue.
    While I'm not opposed to this advice, Swifty, I do want to point out that the search feature is pretty freaking crappy. I have known what I am searching for and still not been able to find it. That's compounded when a new poster doesn't really know what they are looking for. Maybe we can link them to one of the previous threads in addition to recommending for them to search?

Sasha54, I would say do not have more mafia than you are able to equip. If you only have 250 guns, 240 melee, 220 armor, and 190 vehicles, you may not want to have a mob much greater than 190 and definitely not larger than 250. In that example, anything between 190 and 250 kind of depends on how much gain you see when adding a new member, knowing they won't be fully equipped. This is the somewhat complicated part that Swifty was referring to. A simple rule to follow is no do not have more mafia than the number in your most well stocked weapon category. Personally, I would recommend not having more mafia than your lowest category, 190 in my example.
    Last edited by Nicholost; 03-12-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Garden tools make good serving utensils

Post Count
    +1 to Swifty. There are many prior threads on this topic that will be your best source of info.

At level 83, my rivals range still seems to be about + or - 1 level so I haven't had to worry yet about monsters many levels higher. My strategy so far is to bring as many gang members to a fight as possible (5 x the current level, up to 500 max) because even the weak guys are adding something to my attack or defense total.

At level 48 and 140 mafia, if you are seeing rivals with the level max of 240, then I don't see any reason not to expand your mafia as long as you have some type of weapon and armor that they can carry, even if that means buying some low stat equipment.

On the other hand, if you are not seeing and not being attacked by the 240 mafia players, then staying at 140 and increasing numbers as you acquire good equipment may be the best bet. Also, if you already have a good win/loss ratio, then you don't really need the extra few points that adding weak mafia might bring you.
    regfretino ~ lvl 198

Post Count
    +1 Nicholost

It would be very helpful if they would substantially improve the search.

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    At level 48 and 140 mafia, if you are seeing rivals with the level max of 240, then I don't see any reason not to expand your mafia as long as you have some type of weapon and armor that they can carry, even if that means buying some low stat equipment.
    Keep in mind that just because you can see a rival, it does not mean that they can see you. The bracketing may keep you off their radar, even though they show up on yours. This is especially true when comparing rivals with significant mafia size differences (e.g. 140 vs 240 at lvl 48). Adding mafia and low-end weapons just to match their mafia size will get you on their radar and you will be comparatively weaker than you would be if you had stayed with 140 mafia and better weapons. If you have to buy low level weapons to outfit your mafia, you have too many mafia.

Post Count
    Nicholost's first post in this thread also reminds me to remind beginners:

RTFM

Heh, sorry, just kidding. What I really mean is try to take some time and read the stickied "best of best" series of guides. Even the ones that are out of date have useful nuggets. Well worth reading. Well worth reading more than once.

Post Count
    True Nicholost, but I don't believe I've reached the level yet where I am seen by players many levels higher - that starts somewhere past level 100 now, doesn't it? At least I can say that I haven't been attacked by anyone that is more than +/- 1 of my level.

So, if worrying about the many-level higher monster is off the table, you're back to are you already at 140 mafia seeing and being attacked by rivals of 240. If so, then I don't think raising your mafia level will hurt you because it shouldn't push you into a new group of rivals.

But like Swifty and Nicholost both said, it's a complicated issue. You could try experimenting with adding mafia, seeing how it affects your attack/defense, and if you run into trouble just drop back down to 140.

My weakest mafia are only adding a few points to my total, but my overall stats are decent, and I don't think (although could be wrong) that if I dropped say 100 mafia, it would change my set of rivals.
    regfretino ~ lvl 198

Post Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    So, if worrying about the many-level higher monster is off the table, you're back to are you already at 140 mafia seeing and being attacked by rivals of 240. If so, then I don't think raising your mafia level will hurt you because it shouldn't push you into a new group of rivals.
    If you are seen, being attacked by, and losing to rivals of the same level (+/- 1 level), it will be faster and cheaper to scale back your mafia so that you are both off their radar and relatively more powerful for your bracket (mafia range) than scale up and try to equip them with cheap weapons. Scaling up and compensating with cheap weapons will make you even weaker and could expose you to higher and stronger brackets.

Banned
    Post Count
    Thanks for all replies

I have read most of the stickies and I do search whenever possible - sometimes just easier to post a question KWIM

I have 480 or so weapons and 183 armour so I understand that I should stay under the 183 for now in mafia count

I see rivals in the 240 range but I don't seem to have too many problems with attacks or robberies against me - a few but I collect pretty regularly and so far have not lost any large amounts

On the other hand my own robberies are getting quite good and I have taken some substantial amounts - well not by your accounts but for my level I think they are good

I am farming at the junkyard for my favorite item and I think that is helping my defense - and offense
    Will open up boardwalk soon - and then I can concentrate on that for a while

So I will just add members slowly I guess

Thanks again

Post Count
    i dont know but i think your best bet would be 500.
    seeya wouldnt wanna be ya!

Post Count
    If xclusiv is correct, I have been over thinking the whole problem.

Verbose Veteran
    Post Count
    I've always used full mafia for my level.
    Dorian- 719 824 375 - lvl 139 - IPH = $1,128,239 - Atk 41280 - Def - 48308 - 714 Mafia

Post Count
    I always say have atleast 5 mafia over your recommended max, that way when you level up you become stronger. At higher levels i dont know if the whole "more mafia than needed thing means more rivals can see you" still exists, but is a reason why i dont stray to far above my max mafia.
    Goal: To be the richest in Crime City.

Run with me, or run from me.

Stay thirsty my friends.

(CK) COLD Karma

Post Count
    I'm with G Wiz...generally have around 5 or so mafia beyond the current level max.
    regfretino ~ lvl 198